Nu transforms music into a unique piece of wearable art.
Nu uses sophisticated audio analysis, generative 3D code, and 3D printing to understand the fundamental musical elements of a song, and then use those elements to define the structure of a physical object: every song leads to a completely unique form.
Nu represents not just a new type of jewellery, but a new way for musicians to connect and communicate with their audience. Nu also represents a new approach to design and manufacturing – a way for artists create through code, and an approach that enables both mass production and mass customization.
Nu’s custom fabrication code uses six pieces of musical data:
- The BPM of the song determines the overall complexity of the folding pattern.
- Beat emphasis determines the ratio of folding from left to right.
- Syncopation determines the ratio of folding from front to back.
- Beat intensity controls the depth of the folding pattern.
- Song length determines how far the holes extend.
- Rythmic complexity controls the ratio of the inner ring’s folding scale to the outer ring’s folding scale.
- Frequency distribution determines the depth of the inner ring’s folding pattern.
Nu has been featured by The Today Show, Make, Shapeways, WeTheUrban, and Elektro.